Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Kids + Dogs = Best Medicine EVER

Kaden Sirah & Mr. Buscemi

We adopted Mr. Buscemi a month and a half ago and he's barely left my side since! He’s only 14.7 pounds and loves being held like a baby. Wait, check that, I LOVE to hold him like a baby, and he lets me. On Sunday, I dropped Mr. Buscemi. I was holding him with his weight on my right arm, which is strange, considering I spend all day trying to eliminate my pain, and sometimes I simply forget my limitations. Nerves in my wrist twitched and twanged and instantly my whole arm gave out, I dropped the poor pup. THANK GOD I was standing over the couch so he didn't fall far or get hurt. But I still felt AWFUL! What if I'd been standing in the kitchen, or even worse, what if I was holding a human baby...
A cloud of depression came creeping in and tears rushed up to my eyeballs at the thought of what could have happened. Eric, my partner, was sitting in the recliner next to me and saw the situation unfurl, without a moment’s hesitation or an explanation he came over to hold me. Kaden, my 5 ALMOST 6 year old step son who was coloring by the TV stood up and with all the seriousness he could muster said, "Chelsey! Do you have back pain?!?... because LOOK (he points at the TV which was playing a Sleep Number Bed infomercial), I think you need that bed to help your disease!!" Laughter came rolling out of my gut and the storm clouds disappeared. Sometimes, the best medicine comes from the most unexpected places. Of course a Sleep Number Mattress was not the answer to all of this, although the simplicity of a child's thought, is something I won't soon take for granted. It soothed the pain in a way no pill or puff ever could.
After a hot bath and some US Weekly I was feeling more like myself again. When I'm home he does not leave my side. I have this feeling he knows there is something wrong. I read that scientists have proven dogs can detect illnesses in their owners by smell. Mr. Buscemi is ALWAYS sitting next to me, licking my face, jumping up into my arms, he can't get enough of me, it's hilarious! You would think I raised him since he was a puppy. He loves the rest of the family of course, but everyone agrees his bond to me is extraordinary. Since we adopted him I've felt better, had less anxiety, my sleeping has improved, and I'm able to get up easier in the morning knowing he needs to be fed and taken outside. Mr. Buscemi had long forgotten about his tumble that morning, he was even loyally waiting for me outside the bathroom after my bath. I wasn't sure we'd find a dog that fit into the family, but alas, Mr. Buscemi just may be a piece of my cure. I'm so thankful....

http://www.oregonhumane.org/adopt/dogs_puppies.asp


No comments:

Post a Comment